Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A rather freaky event

Last night as I was tucking Caitlyn into bed she quickly jumped up and said "mum, I want to show you what to do when there is an earthquake" and she proceeded to show me what she's learnt at school.  I thanked her for sharing and then tucked her in, sang sleepy time song (not that I am much of a singer, but the kids do like this little tradition), switched off the light and off I went.  First Rose and I were chatting on Skype for a bit and then I went to have a bath.

I do a lot of thinking when I am in the bath and so as I was there deep in thought the house suddenly started swaying.  At first I didn't know what was busy happening and then I realised that we were actually busy having an earthquake (click here to read article).  Terence said he actually heard it as it started building up although thought at first it was maybe a train coming past or something. Turned out that there was a 7.0 earthquake quite a distance from where we are, but it was felt throughout various places in New Zealand.  Thankfully it was out at sea (I believe) and thankfully it was a deep one otherwise there probably would have been significant damage in places.  In the 7 years we've lived here now I've only ever felt maybe 2 earthquakes and they were so brief I didn't know it happened until afterwards, but this was different and went on for longer. Rather freaky and when it stopped I wondered if there would be any aftershocks or not.

Not really the kind of excitement I was looking for to be honest...

9 comments:

cat said...

Glad you guys are all fine

Ellie said...

Oh that is quite scary - glad it turned out ok though.

Paul said...

It certainly was freaky! It seemed to go forever! It is neat you have quality time putting the kids to bed. I used to sing songs to our girls playing the guitar!

john bain said...

Crikey! What a good job Caitlyn taught you what to do.

amanda said...

So grateful you are all fine. xx

Unknown said...

I thought you were going to tell us that you'd fainted in the bath! Maa

Lea said...

Amazing that it happened right after she told you about what she had learned at school!
Glad all is well with you.
God bless!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

blackhuff said...

I'm glad you all are fine. Scary!

Lien - all new adventures said...

Hey there, you all good? You've been a tad quiet. Hope everything is fine, and I'm glad wasn't any trouble for you. Freaky incident though!