Wow, another year gone far too quickly. I don't know if it is just that I'm getting older, or that our lives are busier or that time actually moves faster as the years go by, but I seem to remember that when I was a kid, it felt like forever before each year would end. But here we are - about to say goodbye to 2011 and hello to 2012.
I thought I would do a "year in review" post - a reflection on what happened this past year. Please click on the links of the blog entries I did before. So here goes:
- Some significant natural disasters with the floods in Australia way back in January and not long after the massive earthquake in Christchurch where people actually died. Heartbreaking!
- I found volunteering at the SPCA to be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Especially on this day (click here) with a follow up post (click here).
- I learned that while I enjoyed planning both Caitlyn and Bianca's birthday parties (Bianca's especially because of the Harry Potter theme), 11pm is not a good time to find out your birthday cake creation has flopped (click here)
- We actually had snow! (click here)
- We had an amazing visit to the Wellington Children's hospital in October delivering craft kits and providing some entertainment (well Paul did the entertainment, I'm not so good with that...)(click here)
- My mum received her residency!!!! And the timing was just perfect. In time for her birthday we received the letter saying she has been accepted. In time for Christmas I received her passport back from Immigration with the residency sticker and I managed to take a photo and sent it to my mum and in time for New Years my mum has her passport back in her hand all ready to start her big adventure. (click here).
- It was a year of some friendships lost, but also some friendships gained. (click here).
- Bianca did amazingly well in her cheerleading competition. She definitely wants to continue this again. (Click here).
- Funrazor. Definitely one of the biggest highlights of my year. With emphasis on the word "biggest". I have never done such a big thing. And it wasn't meant to be this big thing, but it became this big thing the longer I thought about it and the more I planned. I was very blessed because I had so many who helped make it a success. It was also the day Paul surprised me with an amazing song. When I wrote the words I never dreamt it could actually become a song. Thank you again Paul. You are so talented! (Click here). (Go check out Paul's YouTube channel - he has some pretty cool songs on there).
- Bianca reached 2 years off treatment. While she is still not officially considered cured, it is amazing that we have reached this milestone and every year off treatment that she reaches, the less likely a relapse will be. Bianca is doing so well. (Click here).
- I started trying to write poems again. I have actually created a space where I keep all of my attempts. (Click here).
- It's been a year of trying to get fit even though progress has been incredibly slow (click here) and I suffered a rather annoying injury (click here).
- Bianca's had an amazing year at school with an amazing teacher. We could not have asked for better. Sad that it's come to an end so very soon, but we feel confident we made some great decisions (with some guidance). (Click here for my thank you post). I would have shared the letter Bianca wrote to Paul, but she doesn't want me to put it on here. Let me just say I thought it was an amazing letter, especially for an 8 year old! Remember Paul, I have already booked you to be Caitlyn's teacher in 2014... ;-).
- Caitlyn has had a great year at daycare too. She's learned to write her name and spell cat. And this was the last year she was in daycare. Now in 2012 she only has a few more weeks of daycare before she will start big school when she turns 5 on the 22nd of February. She cannot wait. My little girl is growing up way too fast :-(
What was your 2011 like?
As a new year comes knocking on your door
And your dreams excitedly soar
Ready to take off, running ahead
Looking for wishes that you said
I wish for you a year of fun
Dreams aglow just like the sun
With love and hope around each bend
No need a broken heart to mend
I wish that you will dance and sing
Fly like an eagle spreading his wing
May good things happen every day
May good friends join you on your way
This year is waiting for you
To make the best that you can do
I pray that you will see
How wonderful each day can be
Wishing you all a wonderful 2012. May the new year bring all that is good and beautiful on your way and may this year be your best ever!