LatteJunkie tagged me to share some stuff about cooking and food.
1. What, or who inspired you to start a blog?
That would be Terence. In 2007. Just after Bianca was diagnosed. At that stage I was quite happy just to email people updates and he then suggested that maybe a blog would be the way to go. And so he helped me set up this one (click here).
2. Who is your foodie inspiration?
I'd have to say mostly my kids. But not so much an inspiration as having to come up with kid-friendly meals to eat. Thankfully they are not quite as fussy anymore as they used to be. Oh and the clock. When 5pm strikes I often find myself suddenly faced with "Oh heck, it's 5pm and I haven't yet decided what to do for dinner tonight"
3. Your greasiest, batter – splattered food/drink book is?
Would definitely have to be the recipe book my mum put together for me years ago. It even has a fabric cover and everything. She put some great recipes in there and by now it is falling apart. One of her first projects (when she gets here) will have to be to make me a new one :-).
4. Tell us all about the best thing you have ever eaten in another country, where was it, what was it?
I've only been in 2 countries (yes, boring I know) - South Africa and New Zealand. In South Africa I'd have to say the potjie my uncle used to make. Can't remember exactly what was in it now, but just that it was amazing! In New Zealand it would have to be something from the restaurant at the Prawn fishing place in Taupo.
6. What is the one kitchen gadget you would ask Santa for this year (money no object of course)?
I'm with LatteJunkie and I would have to say a cleaner ;-). But probably... hmmm, I actually don't know what I would ask for. Oh wait, a gas heated stove. We had this before and works way better than the thing we have now that doesn't work properly!
7. Who taught you how to cook?
I think I mostly learnt from my mum! I know rice was one of my very first things I had to learn to cook.
8. I’m coming to you for dinner what’s your signature dish?
You'd probably get something with chicken. If I have enough time I'd make you pumpkin fritters in syrup or otherwise my pasta dish that the kids absolutely love.
9. What is your guilty food pleasure?
Anything with chocolate in it.
10. Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn?
Love prawns, but don't expect me to remove the shell and stuff. The feelers and eyes and shell just freak me out!
Finally…tag 5 other bloggers with these questions…like a hot baked potato…pass it on!
Kevin and Ruth
Paul (you did say you are quite competent in the kitchen...)