Sunday, April 1, 2012

I think my feet and legs hate me right now...

Remember when we were kids and we'd say "last one in the pool is a rotten egg"? Well I found the one who was last in the pool. First egg I cracked open this morning - absolutely rotten and the worst smell ever. Gag!  What a start to my day...

"It's a lovely walk" Rose said.  "Such a scenic venue all along the beach" she said as she smiled.  I've learnt one thing, Rose should come with a disclaimer ;-).  You don't quite realise how far a 21km walk is until you walk it. Actually more like 23km.

Before the race started.

"Now for the race briefing..."

I did like the scenery at the start...

"On your marks...Get set...Walk"
I did really well... 

For the first 13km anyway... 

Up to that point I maintained quite a good walking pace and then my legs decided they've had enough and for good measure my feet decided to give their opinion as well and it was probably at that point that the novelty started wearing off a bit.

I spent the next 10km feeling pretty uncomfortable and in a fair bit of pain (especially my feet), but I was determined to finish.  I am determined not to have a DNF (Did Not Finish) next to my name if I can help it - ever.  And so I kept on going working hard to push through the pain and uncomfortableness and just to keep going.

Why is it that some people feel the need to cheat?  The rules were really clear that in the walking race, only walking would be allowed and 3 people at least who were quite a distance behind me ended up running quite a bit passing me in the process, and slowing down to a walk when the finish line started coming into sight. Pretty disappointing.  But there is no way I was prepared to cheat just to maintain the placing I had at that point.

By 19km:  "Okay I think I've had enough of this now...but it is so close, I really just need to keep going"

By 20.5km:  "Hmmm, why can't I see the finish line yet?"

By 21.1km:  "Honestly?  Surely the finish line should be here by now?"

By 22.5km:  "This must be some kind of April Fool's joke?  Didn't they say it was a 21km walk?"

By 22.8km: "Oh cool, there is the finish line..."

I was pleasantly surprised when I won a spot prize.  I never win anything so it was a nice way to end the event for me.

Finished!  Still standing, still smiling, ready to collapse

11 comments:

Bron said...

Wow 22.8!? Well done for finishing still standing And smiling!! I'm sure it was challenging walking on sand.

Bron said...

Wow 22.8!? Well done for finishing still standing And smiling!! I'm sure it was challenging walking on sand.

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Well done! Ya mean people still had the energy to run! Wow! ;-D

Paul Forster said...

Well done, Lea! A great achievement! Disappointing that they couldn't get the distance right and that people think it is okay to cheat. At least you can hold your head up high!

Lien - all new adventures said...

What a great effort - good on you!

RosemaryO said...

Congratulations! That's about 14 miles I think. That's alot of walking! Great job again!
Rosemary

amanda said...

Knap gedaan! Trots op jou. xx

Ellie said...

Well done working through the pain and finishing. It must have felt really good to be finished though. The scenery is beautiful.

Merphin said...

Well done for making that HUGE walk!! It is not on that people feel the need to cheat in events such as these. Good on you for sticking your ground though.
What was the spot prize?

Unknown said...

Great job!

:-) Marion

Unknown said...

AWESOME! I am just wanting to run a 5k sometime... but my running has gotten lazy and I tend to walk now... need to pick it back up a notch now as the weather is getting nicer.