Sunday, February 26, 2012

I've known it all along, but it occurred to me again today...

I have quite a few photos to download after Caitlyn's party today so will get to that soon and will then do a proper update.  Surprisingly we didn't have to rush this morning and I felt super-organised.  Not quite sure what we did differently to other parties, but anyway.  Nothing went wrong so I couldn't have forgotten about anything important and so I'm not complaining.  An update on the party will follow really soon!

In the meantime there is something else I feel I would like to talk about today.  Marcia has been doing some Friday features on friendship.  It has been pretty interesting to read her thoughts on this subject (click here for the latest post she did).

At the party today as I caught up with the guests as well as Paul, Rose and Sarah, it occurred to me just how blessed I am. 

Typically it is really really hard for me to make new friends.  I tend to take a while to get to know a person before I will finally learn to trust.  It is not you, it is me - I promise!  And I'm not one of those people that can go to a function or event, catch up with total strangers and leave as firm friends.  It is not that I'm not interested, but because I think I can be a bit reserved and guarded and because I'm a total introvert often lacking confidence I struggle to form connections sometimes.  It's just the way it's been for me.

The friendship I am most comfortable with is a friendship where I can just be myself.  Where I don't have to try and be somebody I'm not.  It is a two-way street for me.
“Friendship," said Christopher Robin, "is a very comforting thing to have.” - A.A. Milne (source)

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh (source)

Last year I wrote this, which I thought summed up for me what a true friendship is all about (click here):

To be
To simply be
Without pretend
To smile
And cry
And breath
Without a care
To share
And know
That you'll be there
When day
Turns into night
Change the darkness
Into light
To be
To simply be
Without pretend

And then not long after I wrote this (click here):

There is something about you
Perhaps it is your smile
Perhaps your caring nature
That makes me want to stay for a while

There is something about you
I can see it in your eyes
The way they light up
Just like a sun rise

There is something about you
I don't quite know what it could be
But it is there
Even if I can't quite see 


We have a number of good friends whose friendship I really appreciate.

Three friends in particular have been absolutely amazing and who's never hesitated to support me with my crazy ideas.

Paul really deserves a medal.  He is usually the victim when I come up with my ideas :-).  "Hey Paul, what if we start a blog for you?" or "I need you to come with me to the hospital to entertain some kids...and you'll have to dress up like a pirate" or "I really need some entertainment at my Funrazor event" or "I need you to run up and down the street so I can take a video".  Paul is always willing to go along with whatever ideas take my fancy at the time (except the touch typing...).  When Bianca had her birthday she really wanted to invite Paul (that's how popular a teacher he is and was, the kids absolutely love him) and he came.  He even dressed up as Harry Potter. Incidentally this was the first time I caught a glimpse of the world that is Paul's music (and I'm so glad I did).  Yesterday I invited him to join us for lunch at Caitlyn's party and despite doing a 3 hour hilly bike ride this morning, he stopped by on the way home.  Without question Paul has been there for me to help out with all my ideas (even if at times I'm sure I am driving him crazy) or to listen when I share something with him, and what's more he actually took a poem I wrote and turned it into an amazing song (click here).  Since getting to know Paul, he has shared his music with me, introduced me to Elliott Smith, he puts up with all my silly music-related questions and countless emails and he is incredibly supportive as I'm trying to get fit.  He even waited at the finish line at the Kapiti Women's Triathlon to see me finish (which I really appreciated even if I really really don't like people watching me run).  It is really easy to be comfortable around Paul and it is easy to talk to him about anything.  And not just Paul, but his lovely wife Jo and his girls are just lovely people - really down to earth!

Rose and Mike.  We first met them when we moved to Waikanae and Terence met Mike on the train every day.  They are the kind of friends who would move the earth for you.  Once Mike called to find out what we were up to and I told him Terence was busy with the lawns at the time and without question Mike came to give Terence a hand. When I needed a hair shaving buddy for my Funrazor event Mike didn't hesitate to join me.  He was amazing at organising spot prizes and Rose and the kids ran around collecting money for us.  They are the people who would help you out with cleaning at the end of your child's birthday party.  Speaking of which Mike is amazing at entertaining the kids.  For some reason he attracts kids like a magnet.  All that is missing is the clown face :-).  Rose and I are training buddies and have just done the Kapiti Women's Triathlon together.  We have our swim lessons together and will continue with our Saturday training sessions so that we can can prepare for the next triathlon we will be doing in March. Rose is another friend who is incredibly easy to be comfortable around and to talk to (usually in the form of Skype chats when we are not catching up in person).

Sarah found me.  One day I got a comment on my blog which she left asking that I contact her.  I'm so glad you did Sarah!  You have been an incredibly supportive friend.  Coming to help me until late at night to prepare for my Funrazor event when I was in the middle of panicking about it all, wondering what I was thinking and what did I know about events like that.  Running around at Funrazor to help with whatever needed doing.  Coming to help me today with Caitlyn's party.  And now joining Rose and I at our next triathlon. 

I really am blessed with such wonderful and supportive friends! Thank you Paul, Rose and Mike and Sarah for getting to know me and for letting me get to know you!  For always being there, without question!  You three definitely hold a special place in my heart!
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh (source)

I'd like to share these two songs with you (one I've borrowed from Paul, hope you don't mind Paul!)




How about you too join in with Marcia's friendship feature and share your thoughts on friendship! 

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Following on from your Winnie The Pooh theme,

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” - A.A Milne

Lea, thanks for letting me do so :)Some people do find this uncomfortable, either the doing or the being walked up to :) so thank you so much for letting me in to your lives :) I've loved getting to know you, and it feels like I've known you for so much longer than I have. You always make me feel so welcome and I don't hesitate for a second to help with your ideas, I love seeing the passion in you for them! Even when they've developed way ahead of your initial plans! and I know I can count on you too :) - I love that song!

and yes, Paul, definitely deserves a medal, Mike and Rose too! People who literally would drop everything to come help you, and often be there anyway, just because, you don't always need a reason to go say hi to your friends :)

Lea, we're in it for the long haul...

“We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.” - A.A. Milne

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

What a lovely post! Ya know I now have tears in my eyes reading the Pooh quotes, I never realised just how wonderful they were. ♥

Sarah said...

I've always loved them Sue, I've read the stories so many times I know many off by heart :)

Paul said...

I have been most fortunate to get to know you and share some special times in the last 6 months. I value your friendship and have really enjoyed the various projects and opportunities to be a part of your life. You are extremely easy to be around and are a marvellous and close friend!

Bron said...

I am tearful reading this as it is so lovely. I’m sure your friends feel blessed to have you as a friend. Thank you for sharing such a special message.

You are an inspiration to me and I am sure many friends/followers of your blog (& others will be through public speaking too)

I am grateful for all your comments that cheer me on, thank you!

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. Christopher Robin to Pooh”

Sarah said...

Bron, that's one of my favourites :) I didn't want to 'steal' them all in my comment though and leave none for everyone else!

and that's 3 of Lea's comment spaces I've taken up now :S !!

cat said...

Great friends make the world a special place.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

WOW! I love all the Winnie the Pooh references - I think I need to google and get them all. They are SUCH fantastic ideas for printables :)

And double wow at all the richness you have in your life. We have 3am friends like Rose and Mike. Our friend, Kobus, often says to just phone him if we need help doing DIY around the house. I'm WAAAAYYYY too shy to impose but maybe we should and D and him can bond more :)

You are a fantastic friend and deserve good friends like these back!

And thanks for joining my Friendship Movement as Julia calls it!

Julia said...

I LOVE Winnie the Pooh AND Dr Seuss too! You are so very blessed to have such wonderful friends in your life. And they are blessed to have you too!