Thursday, February 16, 2012

What was I thinking???

Oh my goodness, the nerves! 3 Days to go and then I'll be participating in a triathlon.  Yes, let's not go for something simple like a short distance fun run, no, let's just go for the whole hog!  Swimming, biking AND running.

I was fine until last night (or rather I should say in denial because there's still lots of time left isn't there?) and then I was asked the question - "how do you feel about the upcoming triathlon?"  And I suddenly thought "what in the world was I thinking??!!  I'm not nearly ready enough!!!!"

I have no idea how long it will take me to complete the three parts and right now my goals are not to drown, to actually finish it (and hopefully my legs will play along nicely) and just not be the very last person to arrive at the finish line.  I'm kind of hoping I will be invisible in amongst the crowds.  If you do happen to be there and you see me, I'll be the exhausted-looking-half-dead-on-my-feet person :-)

The sea swim is still very much the scary part for me.  I don't know what I'm going to do if the sea is rough on Sunday.  I still haven't figured out how to get past bigger waves.  And right now I'm taking comfort that I'm probably not the only swimmer who is not confident in the sea.

But even though I am incredibly incredibly nervous, I am excited too.  I've never done something like this.  And I know that if I can achieve my 3 goals it will be with a huge sense of achievement.  And I'm incredibly grateful for the support I've been getting especially from Terence and the girls, special friends (especially Paul and Rose) and the Kapiti Women's Triathlon organisers, Val (my swim coach) and the Saturday training group and coaches.  Your support has been amazing and what has kept me going.  Thank you!

10 comments:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Good luck, you'll be fine luv! I did a few Marathons on the past but then they changed it's name to Snickers and it doesn't quite have the same ring to it! :D

Bron said...

Im thinking of you and look forward to reading all about this experience ~ Go Lea Go!
Please let me know the website to find out more about the race.

Ellie said...

You go girl - I'm so impressed with you doing this. I'm sure you will do fine. And think of the sense of achievement when you have done it. Good luck!!!!!

Hanneke said...

That's awesome, the hard work and training will pay off! Are you planning to do the Wellington Woman's Tri? I am! It's such an awesome event with even better woman given it a go!

Paul Forster said...

I'm sure you will do fine on Sunday! It will be a real sense of achievement when you complete it!

blackhuff said...

Good luck and stop worrying, you will be fine. Can't wait to hear after you have completed the race. You're such an inspiration of doing a triathlon. Wow!

Maria said...

All the best Lea!

amanda said...

Baie sterkte!! So trots op jou om so iets aan te pak. xx

Lien - all new adventures said...

Good on you, Girl! I'm impressed :-)

cat said...

So very very inspired by you! All the best, and you will do just fine