Friday, February 17, 2012

Swimming on a Friday

Had my swimming lesson tonight and as expected Val made us work hard!  She says she kept things easy, but I have to say I was rather exhausted by the end.  Val is good though and I'm not complaining (well not much anyway).   And even though it doesn't really feel like it, I know I've made some progress. 

Tonight was a bit on the intimidating side because right next to us were these incredibly fast youngsters just motoring on ahead.  We get to the other side and have to work hard to catch our breath and in that time they've done about 3 lengths and showing absolutely no effort with their breathing.  I'm sure they must have thought we were incredibly slow old people.  And getting out of the pool at the end of the session - if you can imagine a clumsy walrus flopping on the side of the pool - that's me.  Not easy pulling myself out of the pool when I have hardly any strength left and it is rather embarrassing!

Val feels confident that we'll be fine on Sunday.  I sure hope so!!!

Yesterday I emailed my previous boss who is the owner of the company putting on the Ocean Swim events and asked for some sea swimming tips and he's shared some great tips.  Of course when confronted by waves it might not be so easy for me to do what he suggested, but I'll keep it in mind and hopefully I will have sufficient courage on the day.

Now if somebody can please make sure the sea is calm on Sunday, I would very much appreciate that :-)

How was your day today?

5 comments:

Paul Forster said...

Good on you for your stickability and your well known persistence! You've done the work so you should go in with some confidence!

Anonymous said...

Good luck for Sunday. I'm planning on taking a leaf out of your book and going for a swim in the morning. 3.20am and I'm still at work so we'll see if that happens...

Marcia (123 blog) said...

you're going to do great!

ps please take off your word verification - it's going to do my head in trying to decipher the new format.

Change to the old interface and go into settings, comments and there you go.

Pretty please :)

Ellie said...

Lots of luck for Saturday - I'm sure you will do great.

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Good luck Sunday, I'll be thinkin; of ya when I'm sat on me tush! :D ♥